Consumer Awareness Campaign Launched & Off to a Strong Start:
The Board received an update on “Love The Gums You’re With”, the AAP national consumer awareness campaign designed to elevate the critical role of periodontists and to educate consumers on the importance of maintaining a healthy relationship with their gums. The campaign launched April 22 nd and features as its spokesperson relationship expert and host of ABC's "The Bachelor" Chris Harrison. Members will receive email updates from the Academy and can visit perio.org for information about the campaign and access to member-only resources that you can use for your social networking and media releases in your area.
Initial Campaign Launch Results
Chris Harrison completed 34 satellite interviews with radio and television stations across the country, encouraging listeners and viewers to brush, floss, and to find a periodontist on perio.org. Harrison was also featured on HuffPost Live , Parade.com , and the entertainment program OK! TV. The media tour culminated in a guest-hosting gig on the nationally-televised ABC talk show " The View ," in which Harrison spoke about the campaign during the show’s "Hot Topics" segment. Additionally, Harrison also tweeted on the AAP’s behalf, sharing campaign messaging with his more than 345,000 followers.
In addition to the national launch, AAP public relations staff, in collaboration with our PR firm Weber Shandwick (the group that created the “Got Milk” campaign), has been actively promoting the campaign to outlets in the top local media markets. Over the next several weeks, Weber Shandwick will continue to actively promote the campaign to consumer-focused news outlets throughout the US. Stay tuned for updates.
What you can do
As an expert in treating and preventing periodontal disease, it is up to you to promote the campaign messages to your patients and your local community. You are encouraged to use the campaign toolkit , available only to AAP members, to help extend the reach of the campaign. Your toolkit resources include the following:
- Campaign posters and Infographic - download, print and display in your office
- Campaign logo - download and use on office materials, your practice website, or social media pages
- Social media posts – share these posts on your practice social media pages
- A customizable press release – download, add your practice information and distribute to local media
- A research-based periodontal health report – download, print and share with patients
- The "Love The Gums You're With" key messages – read to promote the campaign messages to your patients
- A campaign fact sheet , which includes
- Important information on how to download items from Perio.org
- Contact information should you have questions or receive media inquiries about the campaign
- Additionally, be sure to follow the AAP on Facebook and Twitter , for important updates about the campaign. If you have any questions about the campaign or how to use the member toolkit materials, please contact AAP Public Relations and Communications Manager Mame Kwayie at [email protected] or (312) 573-3243.